Login with a social network:
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Diskussion about Michael Kiske and Unisonic » Michael Kiske Discussion

Post subject: Re: [SPOILER] Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm 
Souls Disciple

Thanks Nightangel. So we have a great and long song with Kiske and a couple of more that are good. Fine by me, but I will probably go for the normal CD edition. Tolkki and Sammet working together again would be very interesting and especially if Tolkki is playing guitar on Avantasia.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm 
Souls Apprentice

Only two days left!!!

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:42 pm 
Souls Disciple

I just finished my 1st listen of the album and I can say that I like it. There are several songs that remind me very strongly of Stratovarius, especially the faster tracks. I enjoyed most of the ballads and of course the last song with Kiske is the album's major highlight!

Track ratings (these will probably change after a while):

1. AVALANCHE ANTHEM
Very good intro and nice variation in the vocals. The chorus is ok, could have been a little better. The guitar solo is very impressive. A very nice opener. 7,5/10

2. A WORLD WITHOUT US
A mediocre song in my opinion. The chorus is not very strong and is repeated a lot IMO. The vocal interchange is not as good as on the opening song. The song needed a better arrangement. 6,5/10

3. ENSHRINED IN MY MEMORY
A catchy tune, similar to I Did It My Way (from RR's New Era album) 7/10

4. IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE
A very good balladry song. A highlight of the album for me, very nice vocals by Elize and Allen. 8/10

5. WE WILL FIND A WAY
Another highlight. Very catchy song with a very good chorus and again nice vocal performances, especially by Kakko. 8/10

6. SHINE
Probably the weakest song on the album. I just can't get into it, but the reason might be that I don't really like Nightwish. 5/10

7. THE MAGIC OF THE NIGHT
The song is just ok. Not bad and not good. It doesn't help that Rob Rock sings on this, as I don't really like his voice (he is very overrated IMO). There are definite Stratovarius influences on this one. 6/10

8. TO THE EDGE OF THE EARTH
If this song was sang by Kiske or Kakko it would have been much better. Still a good song, again with a heavy Stratovarius influence (especially the vocal melodies). The solos are good but the chorus doesn't do much for me...so 7/10

9. I'LL SING YOU HOME
Another very good ballad with nice female vocals. One more highlight. 8/10

10. THE LAND OF NEW HOPE
The best song on the album by far. Kiske is simply stunning on this. This is probably his most technical vocal performance since the 90's. The song arrangement could have been a little better as there are some strange time changes. I still like the progressive nature of the arrangements though, the chorus is amazing and the guitar solo is also very good. 9/10

For now I can say that the album is "good". If compared to Avantasia it is weaker. If you thought that the choruses on The Mystery Of Time were not that great, you will definitely hate some of these ones. I also think that Sharon was way underused and Elize extremely overused. Overall a very good effort by Tolkki and perhaps the best thing he has done since the Infinite album by Statovarius.

Post subject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope
 Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:39 pm 
Souls Admin

After listening some weeks to the songs, my highlights are The Land of new hope, shine and we will find a way.

Michael Kiske Official Fanclub
http://www.kiskefanclub.com

Post subject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope
 Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:40 pm 
Souls Admin

Here are a few translations of a recent Tolkki interview with some interesting things:

Metal Hammer magazine (German edition) June 2013 include an interview with Timo Tolkki about Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope, a review of the album, the sound check and an advertising. Additionally there is a tour report of Avantasia. Here are some excerpts:

Tolkki about the story of the new album:”It will be quite fantasy oriented, but also my view on the world is part of the story. We are in the year 2053 and almost all human beings died due to nature catastrophes and wars. Only a few people survived and they are searching for the ‘Land of new Hope’, that they heard only from fairy tales and other stories. They finally find it and it was very important for me to get Michael Kiske for the last track. His voice perfectly portrays the hope of the survivors.”

Tolkki about Kiske:”Most of the involved guest musicians are friends of mine. Michael Kiske and I have personal contact for 11 years now.”

Tolkki asked about a guest musician that he couldn’t get for the album:”Yes, Tobias Sammet!!!But he was too busy at that time. I know that many people will compare Avalon with Avantasia. Tobias and I don’t have a problem with this. I know him since he was 17 years old. Back then I produced the Edguy record ‘Vain Glory Opera’; the boys were totally inexperienced at that time. Tobias stood out of the others, not only with his talent, but also with his curiosity. He wanted to know how we do all these things for Stratovarius regarding merchandising, the function of the label and thousand other things. I told him everything that I knew and we kept the contact all the years.”

Tolkki about differences to Avantasia:”Stratovarius was a big influence for Edguy and vice versa was also Tobis music a big influence for me. I wrote around 400 songs in my life and played 3000 shows. I don’t need to prove anyone anything. Apart from this, the main part is sung by a female character and this separates from Avantasia. This is done by Elize Ryd from Amaranthe, who was proposed by the record company. I didn’t know here before, but her voice blew me away. For me she is the discovery of the album.”

Tolkki about future plans like live concerts:”From now on the albums will be released every year. After this, we plan to record a Live-DVD. But this will be only one show, since the market for live concerts is oversaturated. I don’t miss going on tour. I always hated living seven weeks in a bus. Now I work in my home studio and produce the albums of other musicians. I’m really very happy with this.”

Avantasia live in Hamburg:”Michael Kiske runs smiling over the stage. Only his announcements and and his facial expressions are worth the money for the concert. Kiske praises Saschas hair (‘looks great this guy’), sends hand kisses to the audience and climbs the ramp like a mountain climber. Finally he also lays Amandas long blonde hair over his bald head.”

Avantasia live in Oberhausen:”’Ernie’ Kiske is welcomed with speaking choirs and he delivers a fantastic ‘Reach out for the light’. The audience is totally enthusiastic already now and everyone knows that this will be a very special evening.”

Attachments:
metalhammer2013-06.jpg
metalhammer2013-06.jpg [ 186.73 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

Post subject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope (reviews)
 Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 pm 
Souls Admin

Here is another interview + review with Timo Tolkki and a few excerpts:

Rock Hard magazine (German edition) June 2013 include an interview with Timo Tolkki about Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope, a review of the album, the sound check and an advertising. Additionally there is a live review of Avantasia. Here are some excerpts:

Tolkki about Kiske guest appearance:”…I really wanted Michael Kiske for the title track. In the beginning he was reluctant to sing such high songs. This made me wonder why, because he more or less makes the same with Unisonic. In the end he offered me several different versions of the song and it was completely convincing what he delivered.”

Tolkki about other guest musicians that he wanted:”Yes, Tobias Sammet. He was too busy with Avantasia. We know each other since 1996 and he was always nice to me. I remember that I did promotion for ‘Destiny’ and Tobi managed to get an interview slot, despite that he was not a journalist. He told me then that he is not a journalist; he instead wanted to show his music to me and get me as the producer of the next record. This was Edguy ‘Vain Glory Opera’.”

Timo Tolkki’s Avalon Review:
“Luckily the exceptional Finish guitarist can prove again that he can still do it….This time Tolkki shines surprisingly with pop oriented songs like ‘Enshrine in my Memory’ and ‘Shine’, but also with faster tracks like ‘To the edge of the world’ or ‘we will find a way’ and mini epic songs like the title track (sung by Michael Kiske) and these songs are really convincing.”

Attachments:
rockhard2013-06.jpg
rockhard2013-06.jpg [ 170.97 KiB | Viewed 2873 times ]

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 pm 
Souls Disciple

I just received my copy of the album. It looks great by the way (very good artwork, bad photos).

I was looking at the lyrics of the songs and noticed that on both In The Name Of The Rose and I'll Sing You Home only Ryd is listed as the vocalist. I know that in the case of In The Name Of The Rose it is a typographical error (unless Ryd also sings like Allen) but what about I'll Sing You Home? All the professional reviews mention Den Adel singing on that one aswell (and I think I hear her on a short part of the verse and on 1 chorus).

Anyone?

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:48 pm 
Souls Disciple

The information I have it's --> 09. 'I'll Sing You Home' (Den Adel/Ryd) but I also don't trust... because on 'Name Of The Rose' I hear Sharon not Elize... I have not idea.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am 
Souls Apprentice

Avalon 2 is planned for march or so.
On the official web site we have again 4 musicians to be announced "?".
Do you think Michael will be again part of it?
I have some doubt for now he is very busy with other projects.
But hope

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:31 pm 
Souls Admin

Sorrry, but he won't be there. ;)

Board index » Diskussion about Michael Kiske and Unisonic » Michael Kiske Discussion