Login with a social network:
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Diskussion about Michael Kiske and Unisonic » Michael Kiske Discussion

Post subject: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope (reviews)
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:41 pm 
Souls Admin

The new Metal Opera featuring Michael Kiske, who will sing the titel track 'Land of new Hope'. Other confirmed guest musicians are: Sharon Den Adel (Within Temptation), Russel Allen (Symphony X), Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica), Elyze Ryd (Amaranthe), Rob Rock, Jens Johansson (Stratovarius), Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater)

Michael Kiske Official Fanclub
http://www.kiskefanclub.com

Post subject: Re: The New Metal Opera (working titel)
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 pm 
Souls Disciple

Very interesting. This is obviously the next Timo Tolkki project. The Kiske sample sounds great. I hope that the title track is the longest song on the album, as Timo was saying about the song Kiske was supposed to sing for Credo. I'm also happy that Sharon is involved in this, I just love her voice.

I just wish that "The New Metal Opera" is indeed a 'working title' and not the official one.

Post subject: Re: The New Metal Opera (working titel)
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 pm 
Souls Disciple

It turns out I was right, this is Timo Tolkki's new project. The project name is AVALON and the album title is "The Land Of New Hope". The release date is set for May 17th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJwE-ws9RM

Post subject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 pm 
Souls Admin

Here are several updates about this project:

http://kiskefanclub.com/?p=1420

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm 
Souls Newbie

I must say this metal "opera" is more convincing for me than Tobys current Avantasia album. But this could change after several listenings...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:17 pm 
Souls Disciple

The new Kiske sample, on Avalon's EPK, sounds very promising! Amazing vocals by Kiske and hopefully the song will turn out interesting also. I can also admit that I'm a little more excited about this release, than for The Mystery Of Time by Avantasia (after reading some 1st impressions).

Post subject: Re: [SPOILER] Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 pm 
Souls Admin

So here comes the first review of Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of new Hope and it's done by me. It has not leaked, so please don't search for it and also don't ask me about it (I have a protected copy ;) ):

1. AVALANCHE ANTHEM
This one has a very good intro. Later the speed is taken a little bit out. It is not so catchy after the first listening and has a combination of some Stratovarius and modern symphonic elements. But I guess it is a grower. A quite melancholic mood in this song and the following ones, probably due to the story. So I rate it 7/10

2. A WORLD WITHOUT US
A more catchy tune, a little bit in the style of Revolution Renaissance, but with a mix of female and male vocals. But it is not a happy tune. 7,5/10

3. ENSHRINED IN MY MEMORY
You probably heard that song, so I would say it a quite modern rock song with again a melancholic touch. 7/10

4. IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE
A mix of a classic or maybe a little gothic inspired ballad and a midtempo rock song. Again a mix of female and male vocals. 7,5-8/10

5. WE WILL FIND A WAY
My 2nd favorite song from the album with a fantastic Rob Rock. The first little happier song. Great guitar intro and fantastic chorus. I also like the keyboard work here very much. 8,5/10

6. SHINE
This is a song in the in the style of latest Nighwish. I like it, despite that it is a little similar. 7,5/10

7. THE MAGIC OF THE NIGHT
Another uptempo track and also a good one, but here the chorus doesn't catch me so much like in 'We will find a way'. A little bit like uptempo Axel Rudi Pell song. 7/10

8. TO THE EDGE OF THE EARTH
Here we have the memorial intro of 'March of Time'. :D This is the fastest track of this album and my 3rd favorite. This one sounds like a track left over from Symphonia. Probably with Kiske on vocals that one would have been my favorite. But it is still very good. 8,5/10

9. I'LL SING YOU HOME
This is again a very classical ballad, which could have been on Tolkki's solo album. I like that one very much, also the great guitar work. 8/10

10. THE LAND OF NEW HOPE
Here we have now my favorite song and of course with Kiske. It is the longest track with over 9 minutes. It is a combination of Keeper of the seven keys track and Key to the Universe. Fantastic vocals of Kiske and again a great guitar work with some variation in speed. 9-9,5/10

Summary: I think it is a good album, but 1-2 more mid/uptempo songs would have helped. It is not a copy of Avantasia and it is definately a Tolkki album with some modern elements. Of course there are also some things that I would criticize, for example in some songs I miss a variation in speed, like it was done in the last song. Also the first 4 songs are calmer and more melancholic until a quite happy track starts. Probably because of the story, they couldn't place the songs in a different order. I will give the record some more listening sessions. :D

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:20 am 
Souls Disciple

nightangel wrote:
So here comes the first review of Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of new Hope and it's done by me.

You are very lucky :D
Since we can't listen to the album for at least a month, what about some more info?
Can you label the album as "a metal opera" or a "power metal" album?
Is it closer to melodic hard rock (with all the ballads and softer tracks)?
On which song does Sharon sing on? Is it a ballad?
How would you rate the album in comparison to the new Avantasia?

nightangel wrote:
10. THE LAND OF NEW HOPE
Here we have now my favorite song and of course with Kiske. It is the longest track with over 9 minutes. It is a combination of Keeper of the seven keys track and Key to the Universe. Fantastic vocals of Kiske and again a great guitar work with some variation in speed. 9-9,5/10

Really exciting news! :o Is the song a long ballad, or it has heavier and faster moments like Keeper of the seven Keys?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 pm 
Souls Admin

antere wrote:
nightangel wrote:
So here comes the first review of Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of new Hope and it's done by me.

You are very lucky :D
Since we can't listen to the album for at least a month, what about some more info?
Can you label the album as "a metal opera" or a "power metal" album?
Is it closer to melodic hard rock (with all the ballads and softer tracks)?
On which song does Sharon sing on? Is it a ballad?
How would you rate the album in comparison to the new Avantasia?

I gave it now several listening sessions and as a summary I can say it has strong points, but also weak points, like the new Avantasia album. And what makes me worry a little bit, that the strong point is again like in the Avantasia album the vocals of Michael Kiske, who is shining here and probably makes the record better as it would be without him.

After some more listening sessions, I think 1-2 more mid/uptempo songs would have helped a lot. I think Sharon sings in the beginning of 'The name of the rose', later the song is sung by Tony Kakko. She also sings in 'I'll sing you home', but I cannot 100% distinguish her from Elize. I think Elize sings in 'Enshrined in my memory' and 'Shine'.

I would not rate it as a power metal album. It has 1 fast track, 2 uptempo melodic metal tracks, 1 hard rock track, 2 symphonic rock/metal tracks and around 4 ballads or better said half-ballads.

I would tell the same for this record as for Avantasia, I expected a little more. Here we have maybe problem with too many calm, ballad type songs, which may get a little boring after a while. I would say it is not better or worse as Avantasia, it is also a good record. They are both very different records and cannot so easily be compared. :roll:

antere wrote:
nightangel wrote:
10. THE LAND OF NEW HOPE

Really exciting news! :o Is the song a long ballad, or it has heavier and faster moments like Keeper of the seven Keys?

It starts a little bit like the track 'Keeper of the seven keys' with a calmer part, then the first verse is in midtempo and the chorus is quite epic. In the second verse, there is a speed change and it gets a little faster. A great guitar work is heard at the end of the song. It is not a speed metal track, so as I told before, it is more a combination of 'Keeper of the seven keys' and 'Key to the Universe'. I hope this helped a little bit. ;)

As a side note: They should work together next time, since a combination of both albums would be perfect, especially with the great guitar work of Timo, that I miss in some solos of the Avantasia album.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 pm 
Souls Apprentice

Great idea!!! They should work together in the smaller circle of singing friends:-) I've got my copy of "The Mystery Of Time" and i like a few songs ( especially Michi is a main reason to buy it), but the spirit of "Age Of The Joker" is terrible.

Board index » Diskussion about Michael Kiske and Unisonic » Michael Kiske Discussion