Login with a social network:
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Diskussion about Michael Kiske and Unisonic » Unisonic Discussion

Post subject: Re: SPOILER: Light of Dawn album
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:47 pm 
Souls Disciple

AngelCryGr wrote:
Yes the song 'Exceptional' has a high scream at F#5 approximately at the end of track as a backing voice in the chorus. :rock:

Great :rock: I hope there are some more in other songs. He still gives me goosebumps when he hits anything from E5 and above!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 pm 
Souls Admin

antere wrote:
The anticipation is growing :!:

So would you say that with the exception of Your Time Has Come, Dare and Shelter the rest of the songs are calmer during the verses and heavier on the choruses - like We Rise and For The Kingdom? Does Michael do any screams on the new songs, like on Over The Rainbow?

Sorry for not answering earlier, but with the album release coming nearer, more work to do for the fanclub. We also try to improve our fanclub generally. ;)

To answer your question, I think your time has come and For the Kingdom are the most heavy and fast ones. You can also say, these are the songs closest to old keeper style. There are more uptempo songs, or songs who have some uptempo parts (not only in the chorus). But these songs are a little more modern and less keeper style. Also several Place Vendome influences, especially with the choruses and this is a result that Dennis is doing the backing vocals this time. But please keep in mind, that this review is for a not finally mastered and mixed version of 8 songs. The final mix may be even more heavy until it is now.;)

Michael Kiske Official Fanclub
http://www.kiskefanclub.com

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:55 pm 
Souls Disciple

nightangel wrote:
Sorry for not answering earlier, but with the album release coming nearer, more work to do for the fanclub. We also try to improve our fanclub generally. ;)

No problem I understand and I appreciate all your efforts ;)

nightangel wrote:
To answer your question, I think your time has come and For the Kingdom are the most heavy and fast ones. You can also say, these are the songs closest to old keeper style. There are more uptempo songs, or songs who have some uptempo parts (not only in the chorus). But these songs are a little more modern and less keeper style....

Thank you but I was actually wondering if most songs are characterized by softer verses and heavier or faster choruses (like We Rise, Renegade & For The Kingdom)? As I believe that if this is repeated a lot it will get a little tiring.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:52 pm 
Souls Admin

antere wrote:

Thank you but I was actually wondering if most songs are characterized by softer verses and heavier or faster choruses (like We Rise, Renegade & For The Kingdom)? As I believe that if this is repeated a lot it will get a little tiring.

Nope, the material is more diverse this time. There are songs like 'Knight of the long knives' and 'Throne of the Dawn', where the verses are a little faster and heavier, while the chorus is more in the hard rock direction and a little slower. Also 'Knight of the long knives' has some impressive high singing in the verses. :)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 am 
Souls Disciple

nightangel wrote:
Nope, the material is more diverse this time. There are songs like 'Knight of the long knives' and 'Throne of the Dawn', where the verses are a little faster and heavier, while the chorus is more in the hard rock direction and a little slower. Also 'Knight of the long knives' has some impressive high singing in the verses. :)

Good, I'm happy to read this and I'm also anxious about the 3 songs (and the digipak bonus track) that nobody has listened to :think:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 pm 
Souls Disciple

So how are the songs that were not included in the promo copy (When The Deed Is Done, Manhunter, You and I and Judgment Day)?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:51 pm 
Souls Admin

antere wrote:
So how are the songs that were not included in the promo copy (When The Deed Is Done, Manhunter, You and I and Judgment Day)?

The promo/sample editiosn we got are standard cds, which do not include 'Judgement Day' so I cannot say anything yet about this song.

When the Deed is done turns out to become one of favourite tracks if not the best track on the album. At least as good as 'Your time has come'. It is not speed metal style and instead more Place Vendome style, but a very very strong song and melody.

Manhunter has a good kind of Iron Maiden like beginning, but I don't like the chorus so much. It has a kind of Helloween like middle part (Pink Bubble times and also maybe Instant Clarity). It is probably a growing song.

Blood is a a good half ballad and I like it, but I prefer 'No one ever sees me'. Is a mix of Kiske solo and Helloween around Pink Bubbles times. Could also be a song that grows with each listening.

You and I is the real ballad and I like it very much, but it reminds me on a song I know. Maybe Bryan Adams, not 100% sure. At time 3:30 around it has a few little strange/rough vocals of Kiske. Maybe he had a flu when he sang it.

All in all the album ist stronger than the first album. I would rate it around 8,5-9,0. :rock:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:31 pm 
Souls Admin

PS: Heard now also Judgement Day 8-)

Judgement Day is a very original mix of very early Bon Jovi, Europe and Gotthard, but much heavier. Also great high vocals of Kiske. This song is for sure from Mandy. :dance:

After having heard now all songs, I give the album a 9/10. :rock:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 am 
Souls Disciple

Thank you for the info Nightangel. From the samples and the 3 songs I have listened to it seems to be a really strong album and definitely better than the debut :thumbup:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 pm 
Souls Disciple

After finishing my first and rushed listen I just have to give my first opinion on the album.

The album is absolutely amazing and much stronger than the debut. The band has improved in all aspects and it sounds as if they have really glued together. Better musicianship, better and more thought out guitar parts, much better solos, great songwriting and a more loose, varied and technically demanding vocal performance by Michael. This is actually his best vocal performance in a full album since the old days :thumbup:

1. Venite 2.0 - Ok, nothing amazing or very original.

2. Your Time Has Come - A simply mindblowing power metal song. This could easily be part of any of the 2 Keeper albums. I can't say anything else, an all around nearly perfect song. (I would have preferred a high scream at the end but ok) (10/10)

3. Exceptional - A very good and catchy song. It grows on you, I was not amazed by it on the first listen, but it is good and the chorus is very strong. Very good vocals aswell (8.5/10)

4. For the Kingdom - An almost perfect song with outstanding guitar solos. I don't really like the harmony vocals on the second verse (although on the album version it is a little better) and the chorus is good but not spectacular (9/10)

5. Not Gonna Take Anymore - I don't like this one. Too pop influenced...it would work better for Place Vendome, here it doesn't really fit IMO (especially after For the Kingdom). Also the guitar solo is too much for this song. Not a bad song but not good either. IMHO You Come Undone could have easily replaced this song as it is a much better track (6/10)

6. Night of the Long Knives - Very good! Amazing vocals, very nice groove, good riffs and the chorus is one of the best on the album I think (9.5/10)

7. Find Shelter - Another very good song. It has a little bit of a Keeper vibe, a progressive touch, nice vocals, very good guitar solos...The chorus is not my favorite but it fits. This is probably the heaviest song along with For The Kingdom (8.5/10)

8. Blood - I need more time with this one. For now it is one of the weaker ones. The chorus is arranged in a strange way and it is not catchy. Kiske uses his fast vibrato again, which I don't really think that it fits here. Nice change of rhythm though. I also think that Blood is not placed at the right place on the album (perhaps towards the end it would have been more suitable) (6/10)

9. When the Deed Is Done - One of the best songs! I like everything about this song. (10/10)

10. Throne of the Dawn - Again an almost perfect song. The intro is similar to Metallica's Enter Sandman or Black Sabbath (this could have been avoided by changing it a little bit). Very nice groove, good riffs, strong chorus (it reminded me of Bruce Dickinson's solo career), great guitars and great vocals. It is also one of the heavier songs (9.5/10)

11. Manhunter - Not great but not bad either. Very nice rhythm, uplifting, nice energy, the chorus is ok and the guitar solo is nice. IMO You Come Undone could have replaced this song as well. (7.5/10)

12. You and I - Amazing ballad! Really great chorus. Very well done and very good vocals by Michael (except the short part at around 3:25). Nothing more to say, just brilliant (9.5/10)

13. Judgment Day (bonus) - Nice song but nothing more. The high vocals sound a little out of place at some instances I think. IMO the song did not need so high vocals at some parts. The chorus and solo are nice. (You are probably tired of reading this but I prefer You Come Undone :D ) (7.5/10)

14. Dare (bonus) - I will only say that once again us Europeans got the better bonus track. The chorus has a Livin' Ain't No Crime vibe in a way (5/10)

I also have to mention the production which is very strong and makes the EP sound kind of strange (compare the sound of For The Kingdom on the EP and on the album)

So for now a 8.5/10 or a 9/10 :prost: :rock: :jam: :clap:

(If You Come Undone was included in the album instead of Not Gonna Take Anymore or Blood it would be a sure 9 or even a 9.5)

Board index » Diskussion about Michael Kiske and Unisonic » Unisonic Discussion